To change things up a bit, I decided to make some savory cupcakes for a change. I mean, I luuvv a good sweet cupcake.. chocolate, strawberry, apple & cinnamon, and all frostings that come with them as well. But the idea of having cupcakes for dinner or lunch really appealed to me so I gave them a go :)
What you'll need :
For the cupcakes
- 200 grams of flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (7 grams)
- 2 eggs
- 225 grams spinach puree (cooked and pureed or frozen a la crème)
- 50 grams honey
- 80 ml olive oil extra vergine
- 0.5 tablespoon salt
For the 'frosting' cream
- 200 g butter (room temperature)
- 200 g soft young goat cheese
- freshly ground pepper
- 50 g honey
You'll also need this for decorating
- 50 grams pine nuts
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- some honey
- a little bit of goat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (356 F) and mix together flour, baking powder, eggs, spinach, honey, olive oil and a little bit of salt with an electric mixer. Put 12 paper cups in to your cupcake tray and divide equally.
- Bake them in the over for about 25 minutes and let them cool.
- Now on to the fun part, making the butter/cheese cream! Beat the butter in a bowl and add the goatcheese bit by bit. Then stir in the honey, some salt & pepper to your taste and that's it.
- Use a pastry bag like I did or just use a knife to apply the cream to your cupcakes.
- Toast your pinenuts in a hot dry pan until starting to brown a bit (focus at this part, they'll go black before you know it!) and decorate your spinach cupcakes with a little bit of goatcheese, the toasted pinenuts, some fresh thyme and a drizzle of honey. ENJOY!!
recipe via here
PS. I have another blogpost coming up later today with a small video, so come back and check it out!