When I think of granola bars it automatically takes me back to secondary school, my mom layed out a delicious (and let's not forget nutritional :) cranberry/yoghurt or honey/oat granola bar next to my sandwiches and piece of fruit to take with me to school. Never did I think to make some my self, up till recently one of my colleagues gave me this shockingly easy recipe and yet I'M SOLD!
What you'll need for my version of these very tasty granola treats :
- 400 grams selfraising flower
- 400 grams of butter
- 400 grams brown sugar
- 400 grams muesli/oats
- add whatever chocolate and/or nuts you love ( I used pistacchio's, pecans and white+dark chocolate)
The steps of this recipe are so easy, it's almost a 1, 2, 3, ready kind of deal ;)
- Toast the nuts in the oven for a few minutes (don't let them brown) and melt the butter in a pan. Leaving the oven at a 160 C (320 F) temperature.
- Mix together the brown sugar and selfraising flower and add the melted butter. Stir together with the muesli/oats/nuts/chocolate. I'm not gonna lie to you, this can be quite a workout so get ready.
- Now line your baking tray with parchment paper, put the mixture in and press untill nicely divided. Bake for 1 hour and THAT'S IT! (told ya it was easy ;) Dust with icing sugar once they're cooled if you like.
I made a few 'fancy ones' for when we had friends over, but the best thing is chopping them up in to small pieces and nibble them in front of the tv watching your favourite movie!