This is already up on the list of my favourite recipes. As are all of my go-to things to cook, this is a very simple and easy to make dish but with a great (and delicious) end result!
I'm gonna take you through it step by step and show you how easy it is to make this savory flavourfull pie. Let's start of with a list of things you'll need :
8 puffed pastry squares (out of the freezer)
25 grams of butter
2 white onions
300 grams of feta cheese
450 grams frozen spinach
1 egg (seperate the white from the yolk)
- Put your frozen spinach 'cubes' in a pan and slowly heat them 'till fully defrosted and preheat the oven to 200C (392F)
- Peel and slice the onions in to fine slices (or just as fine as you feel like doing that day :)
- Line your baking tray with parchment paper and lay out 4 of your puff pastry squares. Make sure they overlap a little bit, so you can connect them using a fork and make 1 big one. This makes the bottom of your pie.
- Next up, you can crumble half of your feta cheese on to the puff pastry. I suppose you could also chop it in to small dices, but I luvvv getting my hands in while cooking (plus I think crumbled feta just tastes a whole lot better then when dicing it up, have NO idea why though.. )
- On a medium heat, bake your onions for about 5-7 minutes, don't let them brown a lot.
- Now get a large bowl and put in the zest of your lemon.
- Take your defrosted/warm spinach and drain most of the water coming out in a sieve, add to the lemon zest and put in your baked onions. Add your egg white and stir together with a fork.
- Put your spinach mixture on top of the feta cheese (that was already on top of the puff pastry, yeahh we're layering) put the other half of your feta on top of that, and cover it up with the other 4 squares of puff pastry (making it in to 1 just like you did the bottom in step 3) and decorate it with a fork/knife however you like.
- Now take your egg yolk and brush it over the top of your pie.
- YOU ARE DONE! All you have to do now is put it in the middle of your oven and wait for 40 minutes so it turns in to a gorgeous golden brown pie. Serve with a nice cucumber or tomatoe salad and ENJOY!