It's that time of year again to start thinking about what to cook for christmas dinner and or any holiday related dinner parties that are coming your way. One of the things I like to do is to try new recipes out before serving them on dinner parties, just to tweak anything if needed and to make sure I feel confident cooking a certain dish for multiple people.
These fruit filled apples from the oven is a dish I wanted to try out before christmas and yes, these definitely made the cut! Love that it's not a heavy dessert and can easily follow up on a maybe not so light main course. (Mash potatoes and beef roast anyone?)
Let's get started. Here goes the 'how to's and what to buy's' :
- 4 Apples
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- handful of flaked almonds
- 4 tblspn strawberry or cherry jam
- 2 tblspn honey
- cinnamon powder
- * for a healthier version substitute the jam for fresh blueberries or cherries and leave out the sugar
How to :
- Preheat the oven to 180c (375F) and take out the cores of the apples using a sharp knife or apple corer.
- Place the apples in an oven safe dish and fill each apple with a spoon of jam (or fresh fruit).
- Drizzle some honey over the apples and sprinkle them with the flaked almonds and cinnamon powder. Also if you're using the sugar, this is where you'll sprinkle a little bit on top of each apple.
- Put a cinnamon stick into each apple and place them in the oven for about 40 minutes. Some very happy times are coming your way, pretty promise on this one!
- Now take them out of the oven, put them right into a bowl or on a plate, and serve it with some good quality vanilla ice-cream or some creme fraiche. (But don't be discouraged if you haven't got any of the last two things lying around the house. They taste very awesome being just by them selves as well :)